Family

Something incredible happened last week. I discovered a long-lost family connection (a second-cousin) through an app that suggested we could be relatives owing to similar DNA. I reached out to this "algorithmically-matched" relative of mine, only to discover that she was indeed my second cousin! We confirmed this after a few message exchanges, and it was mind-blowing. It's not since I first used a mobile phone that I've felt such amazement at the potential of science and technology. It also made me feel nostalgic, sentimental, optimistic, and many other positive feelings about my family, so I thought I'd write down my thoughts. 

I don't just mean my immediate family: my cousins, uncles, aunts, extended family, and even distant relatives. Innately knowing that there are people who have your back no matter what is a powerful feeling; not everyone is fortunate to have it. When your family feels proud of you and your achievements, you feel on top of the world. 

Connecting with elders in your family and learning from their experiences gives you a much-needed perspective in life and keeps you grounded. Sharing life experiences with your siblings and cousins gives you a sense of assurance, belief, and guidance to navigate your life. Breaking through barriers built-up over the years to reach out to old and new family members gives them a sense of happiness that someone remembers them, while it makes us feel purposeful. When you're feeling lonely, all it takes is one conversation with a family member to remind you that there are people who care about you and your well-being. 

Yes, there are fights and disagreements in all families because life isn't a bed of roses. But at the end of the day, we are there for each other, through thick and thin. That's what makes families extraordinary, and I am lucky to be part of one such family. 

Comments

  1. Very happy to see that you could connect with our extended family of second cousin, it is really true that conversing and spending time with family and friends gives a lot of happiness and joy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment